Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Take the shackles off my feet so I can DANCE

Today I heard the silliest (stupidest) thing I've ever heard in my life.

Him-"I don't want to have kids because there's no guarantee that parents will stay together."

Are you serious? Did those words truly just come out of your mouth? I'm so outdone.

True indeed 72% of black children are born to single mothers...but the reason that you don't want to produce life is because you're afraid to fail at a successful marriage?

I would have had a lot more respect for what came out of this brother's mouth if his reasoning had been a little more-well smarter-perhaps for medical reasons (not wanting to pass on an illness), selfish reasons (he doesn't want to parent because he wants all the focus on himself-forever) I would even accept that one. Because that's a lot more honest and fair to the child. But to say I don't want to parent a well educated, responsible child is because I'm afraid I will be like 50% of people that get married is, I"m sorry, but a bit ridiculous. I think I would understand (still think bad thoughts about him) if he said I don't want to get married because of this statistic. But to base his decision on the mere fact that people that really shouldn't be having children are, and driving up the negative statistic, is a bit baffling.

Why not be the change he wants to see in the world? Make his son or daughter in the 28% of children and stay with his wife? Why not want something DIFFERENT for your kids that what other families have? Why not commit yourself to being the best father that you can and BE THERE for your child? Don't cop out...don't blame a statistic as to the reason why you do or do not do something. If our ancestors had that same mentality, we would all still be in chains picking cotton! Christopher Columbus would still be in Spain. Barack Obama would still be in Chicago. And Michael Jordan would be in North Carolina somewhere.

Perhaps I'm a little sensitive and it's not that deep but this issue really irritated me. Perhaps because I get annoyed when people complain and quit over silly things. The career choice, shoot my whole life choice in general, is about the craziest one that I could have come up with.

An Actress AND a commercial and print model?!!!? Really? Because only a handful of people want to do that. Not that there aren't about 20,000 NEW people PER YEAR attempting to get into the entertainment industry....did I say PER YEAR? Many of them with BAs in theater, film, tv...some graduating from MFA programs around the country. Then factor in how many people from overseas want to throw themselves into the pool. Then, oh lest we forget, the singers, models, reality stars and athletes that want to take their stab at film, tv, and whatever else they can snap up. Cuz these numbers aren't daunting at all.

And this man just said, he can't raise a child because why? I forgot the reason cuz it was so stupid.

Just because someone failed at something doesn't mean that I'm going to. I will not judge myself or anyone else based off what someone else has or has not done. You've gotta live your life for you. Do what you think is necessary for YOUR personal survival. That's what I plan to do...live life for Lenore...freely, fearlessly, COERLESSLY. I think you should do the same for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment