Tuesday, November 16, 2010

To God Be The Glory

So I don't think I ever told you guys the story of how I landed my very first professional show in New York City.

It's simple. Basically, God gave it to me.

And I'm not kidding. Literally, fell out of the sky, into my lap because He knew I needed and wanted me to meet certain people and have something to do creatively when Joy passed.

A more detailed version of it goes like this:

I saw a casting for a young 16 year old daughter for a play that was based in the church (uh duh...I could play that with my eyes closed), innocent, smart..etc. And I submitted for it last summer when I used to buy Backstage...I didn't hear anything back from them.

When I finally decided to move here, I was invited to a birthday party for a casting director and I reluctantly agreed...this casting director and I started talking and eventually he told me he was casting a show that he thought I would be perfect for. He even showed me the picture of the lady that would play my mom and said we looked alike (we do). Now...this is hindsight, but still. the playwright/director of the show was actually at the party but she came after I left. Two other members of the cast were at the party too, but I didn't know them.

Moving on, I send my info to the casting director and he calls me in for an audition that week, I knew I did a good job so I wasn't surprised when they called me back for a call back. At this callback is when I met crazy, JJB, who would stay in my life forever! That's besides the point, he and I did our scene together and I felt really good about it. I knew the casting director, the director liked me (I could just tell) and JJB and I hit it off on stage. I was feeling really good about the show until about a week later, everyone received notification about their part except me. (Remember the moving men from an earlier post...two of them I actually met during the auditions and we've stayed close til this day-ain't that sweet?)

Anywho, so I was kinda bummed about not getting the role but something inside me wouldn't let it go. Every time my phone rang I just thought it was the director calling me and telling me I got the part-even after they had gone into rehearsals and someone else was cast. Until finally the exact same scenario that I kept playing over and over in my head, became my reality. Some people got shifted around, and I ended up with my role. It's seriously true...the favor of God is on my life. I can't explain it, I can't tell you why he's chosen me but he has...and let me tell ya-I APPRECIATE IT! PLEASE DON'T LET IT STOP!

I had an amazing time onstage at the Billie Holiday Theater last year...it was one of the greatest, most tragic, busiest, most extreme times of my life and I will never forget it. But the reason I'm bringing it up tonight is because it just won SEVEN AUDELCO AWARDS TONIGHT! Can you believe it??!?! Seven, like seven actual awards for one production! Who does that!??!

Yvette Heyliger- Best Playwright
Patrice Davidson-Set Design
Yvonne Farrow-Lead Actress in a Dramatic Role
Jerome Preston Bates-Lead Actor in a Dramatic Role
Johnnie Mae-Best Supporting Actress
Jamil AC Mangan-Best Supporting Actor
And The Billie Holiday Theater for best production of the year.

Like, the crazy part about it is, that my very first play is a multiple award winning show! What? Like for real? Ok God, I know you love me and you want me to be prosperous and live a great life but you're just spoiling me with this one. My first show and I'm working with people that have done some incredible stuff...I'm slightly in awe and sometimes have to remind myself that I am indeed living this life. It's a crazy, hectic one at times but I guess I"m off to a great start if the first show I'm apart of wins 7 awards in one night, in case I didn't mention it.

I'm excited to see what the future holds...I would love my next post to be about a fantastic role on a new television series so fingers crossed and prayers prayed ok...if God can give me this show (that won...ok I think you got it) and I wasn't even originally cast...then I'm sure he can pour out more roles for me. I'm excited and I"m inspired by the work that my fellow actors have done

Much love tonight,

No comments:

Post a Comment