Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Just Finished a Book

So remember when I said I was gonna start reading the book When God Winks at You by SQuire Rushnell..well I finished it this morning (easy read on the train to and from work/class) and it was a good overall book. And a theme that stood out to me is the one about unanswered prayers.

There's actually a song by Garth Brooks (closet country music fan over here) I'll post the song in a minute, with a really cool line


...just because he doesn't answer, doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.


I really need to remind myself (more often) that there is a plan...I am making steps in the right direction and just because I don't have the answer that I want, right now, does not mean it won't get answered or that I won't be happy ultimately. I may be bummed out that I didn't get the role, or get the meeting but I trust that there is a plan...God hears me and wants the best for me..even if I don't always understand.



Cool quotes from the book:



All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.
-Martin Buber



Count is all joy when you fall into various trails knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience"
-James 1:2-3

God's winks are messages to the living , not to those who have gone ahead.

God is putting his hand on your shoulder, consoling you, letting you know that our existence is not a continuum but a circle, and connections to loved ones are never lost.

Everything is going to be okay.

Someday you will be up against a wall, and God will make himself known to you at that time.
Then and there, prayer will become a fact of life in your life.

God is a God of second chances.

Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them
-John Updike

All you have to do is ask Jesus.

Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.
-Irish Proverb

Terrible things happen to everyone. Sooner or later, we all have to walk through the valley.

If you want a rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
-Dolly Parton

Leave your baggage behind and get onto your life's path, on a quest for your destiny. Your destiny will not come to you. You need to go to it. And this I promise: the godwinks will be there to guide you.

It's never too late to be what you might have been.
-George Eliot

Your direction toward your destiny will never be altered, and your course will never be corrected if you are still sitting by the side of the road. You must stay in motion-and stay alert for God's winks.

Not until they put their hands on the steering wheels of their lives, and struck out toward their purpose, did extraordinary godwinks begin to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment