Thursday, June 10, 2010

I HAVE to share this!!

You know how you get so excited about something but no one is around or picks up the phone to talk? Well that happened to me tonight. When I left the theater. I went to the (sold out) packed SVA Theater to see a new film starring my southern friend Stephen Tyrone Williams and left the theater beaming! Like not just smiley girl that I usually am but BEAMING.

I may be bias, I may be a little shallow but I can tell when I'm being lied to. And for the p
ast 103 minutes I was not! Children of God was the T.R.U.T.H. The film was beautiful. I mean beautifully done.

Stephen Tyrone Williams was the truth. His body is the truth. I'm just saying...and not that I'm lusting after him but I can respect the effort this man puts in the gym. It was beautiful to watch.

Basic info about the film, and no, I am not a film critic nor am I professionally trained to critique movies but this is my opinion. Don't like it don't read it. Basic info is below. I stole it
from his website. www.stephentyrone.com

New York City Premiere of Kareem Mortimer's CHILDREN OF GOD in association with Southern Fried Filmworks
PictureRun time: 103 min. | Bahamas | color | Film Format: Digital Video
Filmed in the breathtaking Bahamian islands, Kareem Mortimer’s debut feature is a
groundbreaking look at the lives of three people trying to survive in a homophobic and violently repressive islan
d nation. Jonny is a young white gay artist who has recently lost his inspiration, putting his art school scholarship in jeopardy. In an attempt to clear his head, he
travels to the serene island of Eleuthera, where he meets sexy black musician Romeo. Under the ever-watchful eyes of the judgmental island-dwellers,
Jonny and Romeo embark on a steamy secret love affair that puts both their lives in danger. Meanwhile, Lena, a jaded
preacher’s wife, initiates an anti-gay crusade on the island when she finds out her own husband has been sleeping around with men. As
Jonny and Romeo fall deeper in love, Lena’s quest to rid the island of gays picks up steam and, together, the three stories barrel towards a dramatic
conclusion.


So...basically...this film is set in the Bahamas (and the director gave a pre-speech about how
his countrymen still have some issues and are not perfect) and as I'm sure everyone knows being homosexual (esp a man) is not an accepted way of life. And this film explored that very well. It was captivating, moving, and I was inspired.

Williams has engaging from his first scene on camera...it's like you couldn't take your eyes of him. His eyes were so big and bright and sincere...it's like I wanted to know his story. Of
course I was so connected to his co-star and felt so deeply for him that at one point, yeah I almost yelled at Stephen. But honestly, the beaches were beautiful. The acting was good. It was a treat to enjoy. This film deals with the church, homosexuality, and acceptance of individuals for who they are. What was also inspiring is that
race wasn't played a huge role in the film. Although one character was black and the other white (although he did say he wasn't white...but he was pasty) it never was really brought up. It was like they saw thru to the heart of the other person.

Stephen was funny, he was
energetic and he was real. His emotions were raw and uncensored (even with his mama...and I know a few island mamas and I'm not how sure they would have responded to him talking to them the way he did!) But I was entertained. And it also gave me butterflies thinking maybe just maybe Channing
and I can do a film and color won't matter...I digress.

I left the theater inspired. People ask me all the time why you movie to NYC instead of
LA, you wanna do film that's where you need to be. I'm inspired because I"m meeting people EVERYDAY that are doing what I love and making it IN NEW YORK. Stephen went to the Bahamas to shoot this film. Do you know how incredible that is? He was snorkeling ON CAMERA! And where does he live? NEW YORK! Just goes to show you what is for you is for you...and you can be anywhere your heart desires.

Oh but then when I was leaving I was so happy I wasn't really paying that much attention and I wore these huge heels...with kind of a weird platform and I jumped over a puddle of water and almost broke my daggum ankle! So ridiculous...tryna be cute. I might have screamed I can't remember. Ankle still hurt now.

For real, this film got me so excited I don't want to do anything else. I'm supposed to be cleaning my house and prepping for tomorrow's dinner and I have a meeting with an agent tomorrow...so that should be cool.

But anyway, the film did remind me of the first time I went to the Bahamas. So it was a little sad to watch on a personal note.

To the first Bahamian I know and love. Rest in Peace sister. You are in my heart forever.
Joy Alexandria Owens

1 comment:

  1. ok so excited about watching this!....aren't you so glad that i discovered your blog today and have been laying in bed for hours playing with Blogger and reading your blog!!! im sure you're loving all my comments as i go through.....im thinking what i have written so far is a bit negative....you're so upbeat, inspiring, and informative about new and fun things i just love it! YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!....just FYI!....

    ReplyDelete