Sunday, June 13, 2010

My Fairy Godmother

So this weekend has been great. I mean really great. Extremely busy but that's what I love about New York. This place is vibrant and alive and makes me feel the same way.

Today I went to church and as always it was awesome. And after church I had a really interesting conversation with my girlfriends.

Interrupt this blog to say how I'm really excited for Denzel Washington and Viola Davis for both winning Tony's for their roles in August Wilson's "Fences". Congratulations to them..that really made me happy...watched it with a whole lot of black actors and artists in the city. Can't wait til it's my turn.

But back to the convo...

So leaving church today, after the message was talking what you want and seeing what it is that you want out of life. And being on top of a mountain so that you can see further. Basically "The higher you go, the more you can see. The more you can see, the more you can have." So I thought to apply this to every aspect of my life and I asked the question (because I'm a hopeless romantic) what do you see your husband doing right now? The answers are as follows:

Me: I see him leaving church and he decided to take his mom, grandma and niece out to lunch.
Friend #1: I see him getting back into town from a business trip.
Friend #2: I see him traveling, somewhere in the world learning languages.

And after answering this question I could clearly see what each of us wanted in a mate. Me, someone with a close family and him treating the women in his life like the queens that they are. Friend #1 wants someone stable, steady, ready for a mate that has built a career for himself. Friend #2 wants someone who has seen or is seeing the world. Culturally aware and the ability to travel.
I was inspired by this question because I have a vivid imagination and could actually see my husband picking up his niece and watching his grandma and mom look at him with pride (I know...so cheesy but that's what I saw). This clear image was so real that I have to try it again. I even saw my friends images and couldn't wait to meet their husbands either. I'm going to start making these visualizations everyday (about different things) about the different things that I want to be a part of my life. Like really make them real. If only for a moment. I mean what can it hurt.
I remember getting in trouble in school (well not trouble trouble but my teacher would get onto me) for reading during class (my book would be under my desk while she was talking...that's why I can't really tell time that great because during that lesson I was reading "The Baby Sitters Club when she asked me about a quarter til...I couldn't answer her then and I probably couldn't answer her now)
Anyway...I was saying that I would get in trouble for reading and for daydreaming in class. But I remember that I would get so wrapped up in another world and in my thoughts that I was no longer in the class. I was no longer Lenore sitting in my desk but Lenore walking the beach or talking to someone or having her first kiss. Why is it so easy to do as children and we make it so hard to do as adults? Well...back to my imaginative roots...back to creating my fantasy world which people have tried to make me forget over the past couple of years. Saying things like..."that only happens in your dreams", "this is real life", "that doesn't exist" "that's a fairytale" etc.
I think I'd rather live in the world I've created in my head than in this dark reality. No thanks...in my reality people don't shoot the people that they love.
No I'm not delusional and won't walk around sprinkling fairy dust on people, but I will take the bits and pieces of my childhood story books back and not some much want the Cinderella life...because I'm not waiting on my prince charming to rescue me from my dreary life. I would much rather have the prince come running up (with at least 3 carats) after I've slayed my dragon, redecorated my 3 castles in LA, NY and a remote island somewhere all while wearing Manolo Blahniks...and we ride off into the sunset to be with our 2 maybe 3 kids. Him driving of course...or steering the horse and carriage if I continue with the theme.
All I'm saying is that I can appreciate Halle Berry's career...aside from the marriage part. She is taking the time to raise her child, do her charity work and live a normal, healthy life AFTER she has done the movies, won her Oscar and still has her residual Revlon commercial ads running all while having one of the sickest bodies in the game. That to me is a fairy tale. My dream come true...I'd just like a prince to come home to at night.
Well...moral of the story is...Just like it says on my facebook.
I believe in fairy tales. Dreams do come true.

1 comment: